A Proud History

The same dedication, warmth and personal touch that Ellen Richmond began in 1938…

Our story begins in 1938, when Ellen Richmond, a nurse at Mt. Vernon Hospital, compassionately took home and cared for babies born with developmental disabilities, who were left in the hospital to await placement in state facilities. From these modest beginnings, Richmond transformed itself into a nonprofit organization – Richmond Children’s Center, and purchased and moved into the former New York Cardiac Center building in Yonkers, in 1973. At one time, more than 180 children lived in the center.

Today, Richmond Community Services is very much the same and very different from the Richmond of decades past. We still provide excellent supports and services to individuals with developmental disabilities, many of whom have significant medical frailty. Richmond still provides residential supports, although now we have fewer people living in the original Yonkers building, and we also have 54 individuals who live in our group homes throughout Westchester. Today, thanks to advances in science, medicine and rehabilitation, we serve more adults than children, although many of the adults we support came to Richmond as children. Our staff has increased to almost 500, yet we maintain the same dedication, warmth and personal touch that Ellen Richmond began in 1938.